Marie Savoy's mother

My Mother, 4 May 1925 - 27 August 2015
by Marie Savoy

My mother was born Edna Marie Wright in Charlotte, NC on 4 May 1925. She was the 5 th of eight
children born to her parents. She was quiet and shy until you got to know her. She grew up around
family and so family was very important to her.

My mother learned the value of work from her mother. While my grandmother raised children, she also
worked long shifts in one of the cotton mills in Charlotte; maintained a huge garden of vegetables and
flowers; and took her children to the Methodist church on Sundays. My grandmother taught my mother
to cook and sew. In high school, my mother said she would stitch a skirt at night after her studies and
then wear the new skirt to school the next day. Mother said her older sister always liked to borrow her
clothes (this aunt was too busy with boys). This aunt said she even liked supper best when it was my
mother’s turn to cook…hummm, boys.

My mother went to school and loved to learn. Her favorite subject was Social Studies and History. It
upset her, that so many of her classmates went to fight in WWII. She kept scrapbooks about the war.
As an adult, she maintained a subscription for the Charlotte Observer Newspaper until she died. She
was always aware of current events and voted with a knowing conscience.

During WWII, my mother attended a 2-yr secretarial program at the Women’s College in Greensboro.
She was the first in her family to seek higher education. She was so proud that she was able to send her
children to college. She worked as a bookkeeper until she retired. She helped support us and her
mother-in-law as well as save, save, SAVE.

When my mother was young, she had luscious beautiful long blonde hair…she would have made the
Clairol girls on the backs of magazines envious. She was a green-eyed blonde and wore the prettiest
clothes with matching shoes, handbag, gloves and hat. I liked listening to people talk about my mother
when she was a young woman. She was funny and happy.

My mother had a few life-long friends, though she did not go visiting very often. Dottie was her closest
friend; they grew up together. They would sit, talk, drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, knit and laugh.
Mostly my mother was either at work or home with us. She cooked a delicious chuck roast and
wonderful potato salad. Her homemade soup was made with leftover vegetables and much love. She
did embroidery and could knit beautifully. Later in life she enjoyed cross-stitching.

Different awful things happened to my mother: my father went to Korea; we lost everything in
Hurricane Hazel; my father and baby brother had tuberculosis and were in sanitoriums in different
states; and that same brother died of cancer at 17 yrs. old. I can’t recall ever hearing my mother
complain. Later, she developed emphysema and battled that disease for the last 25 years of her life.
She also suffered from macular degeneration and so she had to give-up driving. (She had been the first
in her family to own a car.) She accepted her trials and trudged on.

Growing up, my mother taught me always to be honest and look for the truth. She was very strict. She
did not do a lot of talking or “instructing”. I just watched her example. Even though she didn’t say she
loved us, we knew she cared for us. Sometimes I think of her like a lioness with her cubs…I knew she
would defend us. She was very independent and had her own mind. As my mother got older and I left
home, we would say “I love you” to each other. I knew she cared for us dearly and loved her
grandchildren.

Because of the example that my father and mother set for me, I think I was more prepared to receive
the gospel when I heard it in 1977. It seemed okay for me to join the church, but my mother was very
upset with me when less than 10 years later, my youngest brother joined. Over the years, my mother
saw how the gospel helped me change and her heart softened. My mother lived to be 90 years old. I
had such wonderful conversations with her for the last 15 years of her life…spiritual conversations. I am so thankful she was my mother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris Slutsky

Laura Hennessee's 4th great-grandfather

Ken Rogerson's mother